[Madlug] /sbin/poweroff doesn't

Jon Nelson jnelson-madlug at jamponi.net
Thu Jan 8 09:28:09 CST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Will McDonald wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:54:55AM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > Let me guess -- you are using an ECS motherboard.  I am not one to give
> > up on anything easily.  I gave up on this.  IMO it's the BIOS, and
> > despite turning off anything that might, even in some craaaazy universe,
> > have anything to do with power mgmt, powering off, power drills, power
> > walking, power anything, the lil' bastard still shuts itself off (or
> > goes into some weird coma-like state).
>
> Wow, you must be psychic! Spooky...
> Since I can't fix the poweroff "feature", can I change the Ctrl-Alt-Bksp
> to another sequence? I can start X with "xinit -T" or probably change it
> KDE somewhere, but it'd be nice to still have some key sequence. Another
> thought I had was that I could restart X myself - what does C-A-B do? Is
> it like sending a kill -HUP, or is there anything non-obvious that I
> don't see? All google wants to tell my is that I can use C-A-B.

Sadly, no.  Unfortunately, I have no experience whatsoever with keyboard
remapping, etc...

What does the '-T' option do for xinit?  Control-Alt-Backspace is the
'kill X' command.  man XF86Config and a quick visual scan brings
forth (in the ServerFlags section):

Option "DontZap"  "boolean"

This disallows the use of the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace sequence.  That
sequence  is normally used to terminate the X server.  When this option
is enabled, that key sequence has no special meaning and is passed to
clients.

Default: off.

However, turning that on or off won't make a bit of difference.
In the back of my mind, trying various ACPI options might help (as
in, turning them *on* in your kernel config) -- my theory is that,
unless overridden, the BIOS ACPI interprets the key command.  By using
the kernel ACPI, theoretically the kernel says, "nope, don't do anything
with that key command, pass it on to the keyboard 'out' buffer" or
whatever.  Hey - it's worth it.

--
Join me.

Jon Nelson <jnelson-madlug at jamponi.net>