Compaq BIOS (Re: [Madlug] Re: Problem with possibly crashed computer)

John Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:51:22 CDT 2004

At 02:31 PM 9/20/2004, Mark Tinberg you wrote:
There is a bit of interesting history behind the Compaq reference
partition.  The configuration interface is a custom version of Windows 3.1
from when Compaq was a Windows source code licencee and shipped their own
proprietary version of Windows.

Ah, now it makes sense.  I thought it was just a cost saving thing. I take
back some of the incredibly nasty things I said about Compaq while I was
ditzing with that machine. Some but not all.

The machine I got at UW swap cost only $20. I never did get linux installed
on it but I managed to sell, trade, or give away enough of the parts to
feel that the money wasn't wasted. I even salvaged the diskette drive and
when the diskette drive in my neighbor's Compaq started on fire, I was able
to put a new one in immediately.

That was one of the strangest things I've ever seen. My neighbor put a
diskette in the drive and it made a loud popping noise and a cloud of smoke
that smelled like burning plastic puffed out of the machine.

I replaced the drive but let me tell you I kind of ducked down as I put a
diskette in it for the first time.