[Madlug] kde problem in sles9sp2

Troy Frank Troy.Frank at UWMF.WISC.EDU
Mon Sep 12 16:01:16 CDT 2005

Thanks to all who replied.  I'm going to try CJ's suggestion the next time it blows up.  For now I'm just trying a reinstall with all the defaults.
Special thanks to Orien for summing up most of my experience with linux so far, video/sound included.  Ironically, I've had a little better luck at home, with hardware that's not so corporate standard.  Go figure.

Troy Frank wrote:
> (==) Using config file /ect/x11/xf86config

Was this actually "etc" instead of "ect", and just a remnant of having
been typed in by hand instead of copy/pasted?

> (EE) No devices detected

This probably means that the section of your xf86config file which defines
your graphics card isn't set up properly. What card do you have, and
what's the relevant section of your xf86config? In fact, attaching or
uploading the xf86config somewhere would be useful.

> Unless there is a pretty quick/easy way to get the xserver working, I'll
> probably just try reinstalling, and not fiddling with any of the auto-detected
> defaults (even if they are wrong).

You could certainly try "X -configure" or "xf86config" or "xf86configure"
(I always forget which one is most useful to me) to see if it'll spit
out a valid config file for you. The one which I usually use is non-
interactive and tends to work fine 99% of the time.

-CJ

--
WOW: Kakistocracy | "Happiness isn't good enough for me! I
madlug at apocalyptech.com | demand euphoria!"

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.