[Madlug] debian stable vs testing

John G. Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Wed Mar 1 17:10:43 CST 2006

What's the deal with debian versions?  As I understand it, they have 3
different versions, stable, testing, and unstable. Each has a code name. At
one time the code names were woody, sarge, and sid. But now, at some poind
did sarge become stable, and sid become testing?

Some of the machines I inherited point to sarge in their sources.list.
Wouldn't it be better to point to testing? That way when debina changed
code names, you'd still be at the same level. But maybe that's a bad idea.
Maybe that's a decision that shouldn't happen automatically. I could go in
and change the sources.list to point to sid.

Of course, I'm assuming my first paragraph is right.