[Madlug] Critique my disk partitions

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 30 13:06:03 CDT 2007

I am setting up a PowerEdge SC1435 with 2 Gb of RAM and a 160 HD. I'm  using
the 2nd HD as a raid 1 mirror.  This machine will be used for DNS, dhcp,
ldap and as a  print server.

I've partitioned the disk thusly:
2 Gb /
12 Gb swap
20 Gb /var
20 Gb /usr
5 Gb /tmp
100 Gb /usr/local

I chose not to use LVM. Was that a mistake? What about  the size of my
partitions? The one thing that puzzled me (besides whether to use LVM is
that debian would have created a / partition with less than 1 Gb. Wouldn't
that make it difficult to install a new kernel?

My thinking in not using LVM is that I'll always have plenty of disk space
on each partition. While LVM would make it easy for me to resize partitions,
I'm not likely to ever have to do that.

John Heim
jheim at math.wisc.edu
3-4189