[Madlug] compiling new kernel on Centos 5.2

Steve Ensley steve.ensley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:13:05 CDT 2008

I grabbed the 2.6.26-rc8 kernel source from kernel.org, untared it in
my /usr/src/kernels directory.  copied my config file to .config in
the new dir, did make menuconfig and verified my needed settings, did
make, make modules_install, and make install.  Verified my menu.lst
entry and rebooted.

The new kernel fails to load modules.dep. followed by other modules
failing to load.  On closer examination there is no 2.6.26-rc8
directory in the /lib/modules/ directory.

Here's the rub, when I reboot to the default kernel, the 2.6.26-rc8
directory is there.   No errors during the make process, everything
seems to go fine.

What am I missing here?  something with the initrd?

Had the same problem earlier with the 2.6.25 stable kernel.