[Madlug] VirtualBox problems

Matt Feifarek matt.feifarek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 12:23:42 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Douglas Whitfield <
whitfield at opensourceplayground.org> wrote:

> I am unable to get VirtualBox to go on the monitor I choose.  I've rebooted
> VBox as well as Fedora.  I've moved my monitors around just to think it
> might clear something.  I've moved my

I can move the guest display among my two monitors.

I use VirtualBox, on Ubuntu 10.04 with an XP guest. My Vbox rev is "3.2.6
r63112" and it's coming from the PPA (Ubuntese; sorry can't help with
Fedora-specific stuff). I'm using an Nvidia card with two displays
connected, with some moderate hand-tunings in Xorg (to make the display
flicker-free when moving windows, pretty much for no other reason, but maybe
it has an effect...) I'm not using the nvidia-settings tool to monkey with
anything during my login session.

So, I can launch a guest (again, in my case XP) and it comes up full-screen
on my left monitor by default. I mouse to the bottom edge of the display,
and the vbox menu slides up; there, I "unmaximize" the window from
fullscreen, or use with Host-F, which causes the guest to fit into a window.
Then, I can just drag the window to the right-monitor, and toggle back to
fullscreen with Host-F. Actually, I can drag the window around with compiz
features, too... so I don't know if there's anything special going on.

I can send you more details of my xorg.conf or compiz settings or whatever
you need. You'll probably want the xorg stuff:

Section "Module"
    Load    "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"